Sunday, August 13, 2006

August 13th-15th: Chemo Course #1



SUNDAY, AUGUST 13, 2006 09:00 AM, PDT

9:00 AM I started my first round of chemotherapy today. It doesn't hurt because the medicine is dripped into my central line.

My uncle Chris arrived from Seattle today. I like it when I can have visitors in my room, especially my brother Scott.

Parent's Note:

Keith is receiving high dose induction conforming generally to the N7 protocol. He will receive as many as 4-7 rounds of chemotherapy depending on his responses. The chemo is administered over a 72 hour period after which he will recover for about three weeks and then start the next course. After the third course he will undergo a bone marrow harvest, where stem cells are removed from his blood and saved for later re-introduction.

After the fourth course, he will have surgery.




MONDAY, AUGUST 14, 2006 09:00 AM, PDT

Today is the second day of my first course of chemotherapy. The sores from my surgery are less painful today but I am starting to feel sick to my stomach from the chemo.

Parent's note:

Today was the first time we (actually Josie) drew blood samples from Keith's Broviac under staff direction, a procedure that will have to be performed many times by us when Keith is at home. I guess if Keith can be brave, we can too.




TUESDAY, AUGUST 15, 2006 05:11 PM, PDT

I'm on my third and final day of chemo (at least for now). I really don't feel well at all and I'm so tired that I have been sleeping a lot.

Parent's note:

We are overwhelmed by all of the notes of encouragement for Keith that have been posted in the last day. It is hard to describe how important is to us to know that there is a community of friends and family that care so much for Keith. Thank you for all of the support.

We are told that Keith will continue to feel lousy for a couple more days until the chemotherapy wears off.

No comments: